In Memory of my Nunnu.
It was with disbelief and overwhelming
sadness that I heard the news of my Nannu’s passing – for though he was 93
years old and in declining health, I had convinced myself that he was always going
to be with us. God, however, had a
different plan. While my heart aches
for the loss of my Nannu, I am grateful for the time we got to spend together
and the many wonderful memories I have of him.
It is my honor to share some of these with you all today.
Let’s face it: you always knew when Nannu was around. Mostly because he would announce it himself,
at the top of his lungs, every chance he got.
“Nann-u!” he would yell. Just
randomly throughout the day. And it
wasn’t just his name. He used to have
lots of little sayings that he liked to call out. “Et
Boti?” It makes me smile just to
remember it J
It’s these little quirks that made him
unique. Our Nannu was not your average
grandfather. Not at all. He was a little gruff, a little rough around
the edges. You could always count on Nannu to say exactly
what was on his mind. And boy was he
noisy. It wasn’t unusual to walk into
his house and find the radio and tv both on, both at full volume, and find
Nunnu reading the paper J.
But when I picture my
grandfather, I see a handsome man wearing his “Cappel”. Standing tall and honorable, for he had much
to be proud of. Nunnu was proud of his
heritage – of being Maltese. He was
proud of his military service in WW2. In
his healthier years, I remember him dressing up in a suit and tie, putting his
medals on, and heading out to the Maltese Center where he proudly introduced me
to his friends. “This is my
grand-daughter” he used to say. I know that many of you have been with him
there, or even marched with him on Anzac day.
That look of pride that he had when he wore his medals is something I
will never forget.
He was proud of his cooking,
especially his take on our Nanna’s soup – “braw-doo ta Nanna” as he would call
it. I would watch him work in the
kitchen, chopping this and that, putting a little of whatever he had at the
time in the pot. The finished product
was amazing….and he always offered you a nice big bowl. With bread, don’t forget the bread. He was a man of simple pleasures – some
cheese, some bread, and in one of his small glasses, some “Bimbi Nannu” to wash
it all down.
I remember going to church with him on
Sundays, and how happy it would make him to have his family there with him. He would drop some change in my hand, and get
up and collect the offering. Nunnu was
always ready to help. I remember when we were little, Nannu would
wait for me and my brother outside the gates of St. Brendan’s Primary
school. He used to walk us to and from
school, every single day. Over the
railway tracks, under the bridge, down the streets. Even with his bad leg, he never complained,
never saw it as a chore.
I think that most of all, he was proudest
of his family. His 6 children, his 13
grandchildren and his growing army of great grandchildren. He was never happier than when all of his
family would get together on Sundays, congregating at his home, to eat, drink, talk
and play some “bish-kla”. It was always
his greatest wish that his family be close.
That even after he and Nanna were gone, that his kids would continue to
see each other and spend time together.
He would be happy to see you all gathered here today.
I think I was right, after all. He really will live on forever. When I look around and see you all here today,
I see our Nannu. So many of you resemble
him. So many of you carry on his
interests. When you build your cages and
raise your birds, think of Nannu. When
you make your wine, think of Nannu. When
you fry steak and onions for dinner, think of Nannu. When
you love your families with all of your heart, and do everything you can to
help them no matter what – think of Nannu.
He may be reunited with Nanna in Heaven, but he will forever live on - in our hearts, our minds, and in ourselves. Nannu - we’ll love you always.
With Love, Your grand-daughter, Cathy,
“ta Mary”.





Comments