New Year's Eve

The older I get, the harder it is to stay up late. Ok, who am I kidding LOL. I've never been a night owl, and staying up past 10pm is kind of pushing it for me. Just because it's New Year's Eve does not mean that I'll be any less sleepy than any other night. My bedtime is 10:30pm. It's a fact. It's good that I know my limitations. Right?

In the past we have spent New Year's Eve struggling to stay up until the 'magical moment' when the year officially ends and the new year begins. You tell yourself that you are getting together with family and friends, to play some games, have some laughs, bring in the new year together. But really, it's just a lie. It's a lie you tell yourself because if you told yourself the truth -- what you're REALLY going to do -- it would make you run far far away! The truth of the matter is this: You are going to stay up PAST YOUR BEDTIME. HOURS past your old folk bedtime. You will yawn. Lots. Your eyes will want to close. Repeatedly. Your brain will start to slow down around 11pm, and you will cease to be coherent. You will spend the last 30 minutes of the year asking yourself WHY? Why do you put yourself through this misery year after year after year? It sounds so joyful, doesn't it? So fun. Uhhhh ..... NOT.

So this year I went rebel. That's right, you heard me. R-E-B-E-L. I took a leaf out of a friend's book (thank you Heidi for the FABULOUS idea!) and decided to celebrate bringing in the New Year....at Eastern Standard Time. That's correct - a whole 3 hours early. And I have to say, it was the BEST idea I've ever had (ahem, I mean COPIED). Not having to stay up till that dreadful midnight hour was WONDERFUL. Getting to go to bed at a decent hour was PRICELESS. Needless to say, we will be doing this again.

New Year's Eve was a really nice night. It was just Brandon, Jem, Snickers and I...at home, together. We played some Skip-Bo (our favorite family game), wore party hats and necklaces, made noise on some obnoxious blowers, and even had some 'sprite' in fancy glasses! We put up some balloons on the ceiling (again, another great Heidi idea) and as we counted down from 10, 9, 8..... we released the balloons and wished each other a happy 2011!

I can't think of anything more special than being with those you love as you ring in the new year. It was the best New Year's Eve I've had in years!

Comments

Heidi said…
WOW ~ so excited my traditions helped you ring in 2011 :).
river said…
thats cute
looked like you had fun!

Popular posts from this blog

Pioneer Woman In Town!!!

Joy Day 13

Joy Day 11